News from Commend
Green Intercom by Commend
The green heart of Intercom 2.0
Getting to grips with the environmental impact of IT systems has evolved from mere lip service to a corporate effort of growing strategic importance. Legal requirements also help to push sustainability in product design towards the top of corporate agendas.
What about Commend Intercom systems? "Intercom 2.0 has 'green qualities' of sustainability and resource saving already in its genes," says Andreas Pfeiffer, Head of Research & Development at Commend. The spectrum ranges from the use of non-toxic materials and energy saving components to environmentally compatible maintenance and service.
There are three main 'Green Goals' that determine Commend's underlying Green Intercom policy:
- Use of safe, environmentally safe materials as per EU directive – and even more – on "Reduction of Hazardous Substances" (RoHS), in addition to elimination of hard-to-recycle materials and use of durable, environmentally compatible materials (e.g. stainless steel), etc.
- Saving of resources, e.g. through optimised production facilities, energy efficient components, elimination of wearing parts, modular product design, high fail-safety, regional sourcing of third-party components, and many other measures
- Avoidance of waste as per EU Directive regarding "Waste of Electric and Electronic Equipment" (WEEE) and additional measures such as minimising packaging material, using recyclable materials, etc.
Apart from the corresponding legal requirements, Commend's Green Intercom guidelines cover the entire product lifecycle from product development and design to purchasing, manufacturing, installation and after-sales service.
The advantages benefit operators, users and nature alike:
- Long-lasting products help protect the operator’s investment
- Optimised product design cuts expenses in terms of operation, recycling and waste management
- Modest resource consumption (energy, water, fuel) makes systems easy on the environment and on operating costs
- Avoidance of harmful materials keeps users and the environment healthy